Over one hundred years serving the Village of Kingsnorth
(Registered Charity No 301778)
In 1902 a public meeting was held in the school, to discuss the possibility of building a clubhouse for the village. It was agreed to go ahead and a plot of land was given on lease by the Haberdashers Livery
Company. Collections were made over a period of years until, in 1907 the Hall was
completed and opened. It had cost £225 including the furniture !
This same building, with some extensions made in 1974, existed until 1988. Examination of leaks in the roof resulted in a recommendation that the Hall be re roofed. At the same time it was decided to extend the Hall and plans were drawn up for a major refurbishment costing just short of £50,000. The Kent County Council granted £20,000, the Borough Council £12,000. The Management Committee had to find just short of£ 18000. There was £7000 in the bank and a loan of£ 10000 was required. This shortfall was met with an interest free loan and the generosity of a local benefactor. This loan has now been repaid through the efforts of a number of villagers via fund raising over a period of about 5 or 6 years.
The Village Hall became a registered charity on 4th October 1988 with 12 members (Trustees). 4 are elected by the Public and 8 are representatives of user groups.
Currently there are only 6 members. 3 elected by the Public and 3 representatives. In 2000 with the aid of a grant from the Lottery a new air-conditioning system was fitted and the kitchen upgraded to a modem fully fitted facility. There are folding partitions which can be used by our hirers as they so wish.. The toilets were fitted
with interactive extraction fans as an improvement to help fight against condensation.
In 2005, after the Post Office closed in Kingsnorth, a Post Office facility was opened for the benefit of the area.
The Charity Commissioners require the Management Committee to meet at least twice per year in addition to the Annual General Meeting, in point of fact they now meet about three times per year.
